Saturday 19 May 2007




this is Heather, my wife and Ruby-Jane, my granddaughter. The painting needs a bit more work. I think it would work better in Oils, it's in Acrylic which isn't so sympathetic for doing cloth (in my hands anycase!)

Someone asked me to describe the solo in Stairway to Heaven without using the word 'nice', I'd better put it on to aid memory, but will have to wait until Firth of Fifth (Genesis finished, this also includes a lush guitar solo; fairly sublime. andf I hate turning music off in the middle of a track)

anyway here goes, Stairway to Heaven, lovely recorders at the beginning, The Move used to use recorders I remember from way back on a song I think called 'Curly' that's some way back. Apparently when Rolf Harris recorded a version of Stairway to Heaven he got death threats from die hard Zeppelin fans, (who could possibly want to kill Rolf Harris?) speaking of whose musi: Alice Cooper does a great version of Sun Arise on Love it to death replete (whatever that means ) with an amusingly off key solo.

But back to Led Zeppelin, I love Ramble on from 2nd album, but in it the singer bemoans the loss of his lady love to 'Golum the evil one' anyone who read LOTR knows if Golum nicks yor girlfriend it isn't because he fancies her , he fancies eating her!

back to StoH; the solo is upon us in all its magisterial splendour;

It soars heroically, it fiddles around most pleasantly, it swoops and dodges, it stabs the airwaves beautifully before reaching a piercing denouement: a duelling fretboard finale...

in other words... nice!

I've just checked denouement in the dictionary to see what I meant! what's the point of having all these words unless we use them folks, I want all my 2 or 3 readers to make a point of using this word in casual conversation next time we meet. Right?

1 comment:

Ian Dyer said...

Why weren't you at the Art Society meeting? I had my finely-honed denouement conversation already prepared. It would have dazzled you but I've forgotten it now. (Short-term memory loss problems)