Thursday 10 May 2007















NICE; there's a word some folk don't like, especially when used in relation to their paintings. Trouble is it can mean different things:

'that's nice' (I'm stuck here in front of someone's work and I can't escape without saying something:'that's, er nice.')

'that's nice' ( can't think of what to say..'nice''ll do..well nicely)
'that's nice' ( is it supposed to be the other way up?)


anywhey. I thought I'd supply, courtesy of the oxford compact dictionary and thesaurus some alternatives to NICE

AGREEABLE; That's a very agreeable composition. (bit boring if you ask me but you didn't so I won't say)

ATTRATIVE; what an attractive painting! (what is it?)

DELICIOUS? simply delicious use of harmony (do I sound a right plonker?)

PLEASANT that's a very pleasant representation (nearly but not quite as bland as 'nice')

SATISFACTORY youv'e made a very satisfactory effort there! (a bit school reportish-who is this kid again?)

DELICATE, what delicate brushwork! (get a big brush and have a splash about why don't you?)

METICULOUS, mmm.. very.. meticulous use of a difficult medium there mate! (what am I on about?)

anyhoo if you got this far you've got far too much time on yer hands here's a painting of something, why is it at the top when I'm down here now? Wellone' is a demo I did of tulips in acrylic on a red ground the other is another from my ivy periodwith a pebble that might have come from South Shields beach. The Ivy may have been donated by Ray from my St Aidan's class. bye bye

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Dave I look forward to your blogs and find them... well... 'nice' or should I say 'interesting'....

Kathy said...

Hi Dave...Regarding that word 'nice' you commented that my picture was 'a nice picture' .....
Now can I have the truth please...if you dare.
Wish we could get more comments going on this site. It could get a bit boring if it is the same ones all the time.