Friday 11 January 2008

I thought my drawing days had drawn to a close but then inspiration came in the form of my sketching bag which I put
down on the rocks in order to take a picture of Tynemouth beach for a small commission what I have been commissioned to do of the beach. I also sat and draw it and suddenly I felt like a proper artist again, until I got cold and packed in! but I had had the presence of mind to both notice and photograph the bag in all its light and shaded glory and that evening as I sat and watched tv and browsed in 3 different dictionaries ( I was puzzled over the difference between affect and effect, always have been words have that effect, they affect one so!)

A drawing done while watching telly aways has a t least a faint whiff of the programs attached to it at a molecular level, in this case I started drawing while watching a program about how badly battery hens are treated (only free range for us from now on) and finished it watching a program about Barry Humphries. So the picture has a strange undercurrent in my mind or at least it should have. Also looked up: baleful which should really have soething to do with farming in autumn. Odd philologies!


2 comments:

Diana Marshall said...

Hi Dave,
great drawings, and your photos too, glad to hear you have got your creative juices flowing again. You are right about pastels muckey things and so fragile and then when you have finished painting the picture, it is so fragile until youv'e got it framed. There's always a down side to every medium it seems.
I am trying to start painting classes for beginners, (I have a couple of unfortunates who say they are interested) which has caused me a lot of sleepless nights trying to figure out how to start I don't want to get too technical to start off with and I'm trying to decide whether to start in acrylics or water colours.
Do you have any advice. maybe you could e-mail me dianaatmojacar@hotmail.com I would greatly apreciate it!
Thats of course if you can spare the time...
thanks anyway Diana

John Dyer said...

Hiya Dave.

Cheers for the links.
CAROL MARINE'S PAINTING A DAY is fantastic. It's time for me to invest in some paint and brushes.
Love it!!!!!!!! What a style!

John