Tuesday 26 June 2007



this all takes a bit of time; when I started this posting I was eating a corned beef sandwwich, now I'm eating some kind of cake.

aNYhoo, what I was thinking of vaguely was how an added benefit of doing art is that it makes you like more kinds of weather, not just sunshine, though I do like sunshine. But is it cloudy? great clouds! is it foggy, fascinating effects transforming boring buildings into intriguing silhouettes, frost, snow; marvelous how winter changes the face of familiar scenes, often reversing thew tones, here's a watercolour I did yesterday, not perfect but I enjoyed the sky, dramatic clouds pushing there way into blue sky. (land needed much better drawing but what can you do?)


below, on the other hand is a drawing of andark red apple, coloured pencil not something Ive used much, possibly from when I did my A level in my thirties I think it was, someone told me that the teacher didn't like coloured pencils so I never used them thought I tried to use just about everything else. Funny the things which make an impression.

Anyway, saw some nice pebbles drawn in coloured pencils by Dave Pickard, look him up, he's here somewhere on the web. Sometimes you need another artist to open up possibilities.

Harder than I expected given my astounding powers of observation and digital dexterity! , did it in a class last week: left the students to themselves for a while; no riots ensued. Also did a lemon, it was a lemon ie failed and not even miserably.


Have a bit of an exhibition from 16th July (sorry if i told anyone earlier, my mincesteak) for 2weeks at North Shields Library. If you've got nothing better to do.........



Talking of artist's art opening yor eyes, in the Royal academy summer show on television the newcomer winner was a lady who painted sunshining on a muddy puddle and this morning down at the coast I saw scenes of sunshine in rock pools which I might not have noticed so much if I hadn't seen the muddy puddle painting.

No comments: