Wednesday 20 June 2007



Here's a better photo of the watercolour of the horse skull, quite pleased with it. I find watercolour difficult to do; not suited to my impatient personality, all the stuff I tell students I ignore myself., eg think before you paint; know when to stop and let it dry etc.. So on the occasion that it works I do feel a bit pleased with myself, with watercolour there is probably a ratio of 5 failures to every 1 success . Anyway.....

Dont' at all feel witty or wise this morning, was going to write about 'natural ingredients' as in adverts for foods which claim '100% natural ingredients' ; sparked by a sign on an ice cream- selling cafe in Whitley bay seen yesterday on a bike ride before work.

100% natural ingredients for example;
milk(90%)
sugar (20%)
vanilla extract(0.1%)
cow dung (4%)
fly legs (2%)
dog toenails (0.4%)
natural tree bark (2%)
mud (55%)
elephant bottom hair (3%)
monkey snot(2%) think Im getting carried away here!
yes, all 100% natural ingredients



there are a whole lot of natural ingredients you wouldn't want to imbibe, seeds or leaves of yew tree, Im told by a reliable sourse contain cyanide (was he kidding?)
Also poisonous: ivy& privet, so don't eat them! I presume stick insects are poisonous too as they eat privet, they don't look very appetising anyway, probably crunchy though.

Told you I wasn't feeling witty or wise. but feelings can't always be trusted; a couple of weeks ago I felt that I was beginning to know how to paint...but the feeling passed.

This is an old one hangs in a dark corner which sometimes is the best place for certain paintings,
Why did a basket of washing appeal to the inner artist (not to mention the outer one?) who knows? Folds are a bit stiff.


4 comments:

Tania said...

Wow, this is really a nice painting Dave. Watercolour is the best medium, isn't it? :-)
I like this picture very much, particularly a cheeky look and love your grey colour and nice dark background... good contrast.
Tania

Kathy said...

Where's ya undies Dave....
'Nice' painting though

dave said...

never where them, Kathy: use them as painting rags, and why is nice in '?' are you being funny? its not nice you know

dave said...

where?