Sunday 10 June 2007


This painting came about partly by inspiration of an artist and also from a visit to the art degree show at one of our local universities.
Sadly, (for who?) I found the work very disappointing, which was sad; for me because I was hoping for a bit of inspiration; for the students because I think that at degree level they need more direction and help from the tutors and course. Its too easy just to meander aimlessly rather than find challenging targets and try and achieve them. Still. I could be wrong: I often am.
Anyway there was this doorway that was sealed of with a draped bit of material and it was the most interesting sight there so I had my camera, took a couple of photos. drew it in class that afternoon and painted it that same evening.
added the floor next day.
I had been looking at some paintings of draped material by Alison Watts, she's well worth looking up. I find that good artists open your eyes to the world around you, would I have noticed the folds if Watts had not already made me appreciate the lovely soft but clear tones in the folds of cloth?
Anyway before you pick up that towel from the floor, look at it first and perhaps draw it before chucking it in the wash or folding it up.
Listening to Dave Matthews who I saw live a while back; nice.

1 comment:

rozakthegoon said...

alreet father. i like yor blogs. they remind me of you.

i also blog. i forgot to tell you. its at our band at myspace.com/morningviewmusic in the blog sesction, i would hope, obviously.