Friday 1 June 2007


continuing the idea that art does not have to be about pretty subjects, but may seek out the 'beauty' in unexpected places, here is an old painting, watercolour on a full sheet, of a drill in newspaper.




I really enjoyed this when I was doing my A level in my thirties. Up till then I had been doing a fair bit of copying of photo's from magazines ( long before I thought about copyright issues)then I thought: ' I need more of a challenge' and I signed up for A level art. I found in the projects set by the tutor Lee Montgomery, that challenge.



This project was 'wrapped object' and I draw and painted the drill in various material, clingfilm, cloth, newspaper. I think it looks a little bit like a flower.



This is another from my A level a straight forward still life, once I thought still life was a bit boring but in fact it is very challenging and rewarding, I too a bit of time to paint it and by the time I 'd finished the bulb had grown considerably.
It is one of only a couple of paintings I've done in gouache which I find a difficult medium as it dries much lighter than it goes on. I painted it on stretched grey pastel paper









































Listening to Jethro Tull, new(ish) cd of acoustic stuff, great accoustic guitarist and songwriter.



Also just listened to Kathryn Williams who was at University a year ahead of me and has become a successful singer songwriter.

























2 comments:

Kathy said...

This is the type of thing I did on an 'O' level course at North Tyneside college. Unfortunately i was unable to finish that course due to the fact I had to go to work in the real world. I'll dig mine out and show it the site, if I can find it.

Ian Dyer said...

Nice still life pictures!
Maybe we should have a still life evening some time at the club.
The one with the bulb has a good feel to it.
My "O" level was too long ago to recall or show anything I did. Probably all binned anyway.