Sunday 8 March 2009

latin for turnip

had a nice day saturday with a day long class doing oil painting; subject: a flower. Spent a bit of time beforehand messing around with some photo's I had taken. this is of course not a flower but a sight from a cycle trip to Newcastle on friday.
this is a flower from a bunch the kids bought their ma.
it was evening and the artificial light has brought out some very nice colour to an ordinary flower, this was one of the flowers painted on saturday.

this one was painted too, too a close up of a potted plant; can't remember the name: those ones which are sold early in shops in spring, it will come to me eventually. a kind of primrose?








and this is an acrylic I painted on tuesday. a little bit out of focus I think, when Rapeseed first featuring in fields I though it spoiled the english countryside but I am used to it now and it is nicely dramatic. Just looked up its unfortunate name it comes according to Wilkepedia form the latin for turnip, rapum. ( I came, I saw, I ate a turnip.)







2 comments:

lunarossa said...

Hi dave, I like your painting. I very much like rapeseed fields in general. They are so summery...Ciao. A.

Simon said...

We think you paintings are fantastic and love this one - great stuff.