Thursday 20 December 2007

I don't know if it's a good thing or not when within a couple of paragraphs of a new book you have to reach for the dictionary to find out what the author is on about. Thought I had learned a new word: attenuated, then realised I knew it in a different context, usually in court cases, there were attenuating circumstances.

My daughter says that that should be extenuating circumstances and she's doing a degree in English so she must be right. So I have learned a new word:. attenuated; meaning lightened or made fainter. As in: he was feeling attenuated; having eaten fewer cakes than usual. or: he felt attenuated, having skipped breakfast that morning. Only kidding, but as I have said before isn't the englandish langwedge faskinating?

So if it were a court case there were attenuating circumstances in that the accused didn't see the sign: keep off, as it was in fact extremely attenuated by weather and age.

Anyway here are a few watercolours I did yesterday. Love snow scenes, do em every year weather it snows or not. this is Durham from the east I think
st Mary's island again, often featured in the brother blog dave-davetakespictures which I do, easily reached by clikking at the top of this blog, more comments therein required to keep me going.


I don't know if the lighthouse is slightly wonkey, should have drawn it rather than just painted it in.

the word Draw in fact is related to draught its meaning initially being to draw an instrument across the page rather than having the emphasis on depiction, so a draught is air drawn through a gap or hole, or perhaps liquid drawn from a container.

6 comments:

Dave Middleton said...

As a qualified draughtsman, where does that leave me? Dave M.

dave said...

we shall have to ask a trained philologist!

dave said...

or something not very funny to do with wind?

Dave Middleton said...

Super use of watercolour - you should do it more often.

dave said...

thanks dave
regards
Dave

I used to work in a place with 4 Dave's and 4 john's, but no percys!

Ian Dyer said...

Attenuate: to make slender or thin,reduce in force or value