Monday 15 October 2007


well I found my zoom! turns out I'd switched it inadvertently off. HERE are a couple of photos to keep things ticking over, a fine sky from a while back lovely clouds, and some light reflected on the river tyne, canny dramatic.
On a more personal note I must stop cycling with my mouth open, 2 flies in one ride! wouldn't so bad if they tasted nice.





Now for some reason in one of my classes the conversation seemed to briefly turn to the question what is the point of art, and this is a question I occasionally reflect upon myself. Of course one could be very serious and consider whether anything has a point because if there is no point or purpose in the whole show so to speak then there can be no point or purpose in a small element of the whole show such as a few people making art.

mmmmmm. To take another line of thought I read a quote by Oscar Wilde to the effect of; 'art is useless: like a rose' Did he mean that just as we accept the beauty and smell of a rose as making it unquestionably worth existing, or did he mean that the point of art is to be something other than practical and what's the word???? utilitarian, ie art exists in the space beyond or above usefulness?

Anyway to take it off at a tangent we know of course that roses are far from 'useless' since their purpose is to attract insects which when they have visited leave with pollen which pollinate other roses and hence lead to propagation. Does art then attract people and does good art ensure that when people come away they leave carrying something about their persons akin to pollen?? I know that soemetimes I come away from a gallery or exhibitlion feeling very disappointed that I didn't 'get anything' from it, some(not all) contemporary art can seem to me quite empty, but so can some traditional art. Perhaps mine seems empty to some others. mmmmmmmmm well that's enough pondering for now, I'm listening to Jethro Tull again.

2 comments:

Tania said...

Hi Dave,
Wow, two lovely pics. Both are really nice, the colour of the first one is so nice, everything is in blue. The second one is so dramatic and absolutelly stunning..
Well you know that everything that's not so tasty is very good for your health :-)
Tania

Ian Dyer said...

Superb black and white photo, Dave